.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sight Screen

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Chappell ain't Greg-arious? Awwwwwwwww!

There's an amusing undercurrent of pique to the reports of Greg Chappell landing in India to take up his assignment. And it is contained in this one line: He did not/refused to talk to the media.
Good for Greg!
As a journalist, I have had my share of editors telling me to 'get' whoever the headline maker of the moment is; as an editor, I've done my share of asking journos to 'get' quotes (You guys know that in newsroom parlance, landing an interview with a celeb is called a 'get'?).
That's one of the nice things, I find, about blogging -- I can step away from those two roles, and say what I think. And what I think is, it's daft to go pestering the man.
Assuming Chappell was willing to talk, what would we ask? Let's see: (1) Do you think Saurav Ganguly will get his form back/should lead the national side? (2) Do you think Sachin Tendulkar is a legend? (3) Do you think India can win WC 2007? (4) Do you think India can become the number one Test nation?
That, or variants thereof, is what -- all -- we would ask. And no matter what Chappell had said in reply, we would have twisted things around to create some form of sensational headline (as happened the other day, when he said we would not any more see the Tendulkar of old).
It's like Jay Leno's quip, once, on the Tonight show. He was talking of the media's tendency to sensationalize (a subject Rajaraman touched on in his latest Outlook column, btw), and he said the other day, a truck carrying a consignment of dinnerware crashed on the highway. This is what the media made of it: 'China in ruins; watch exclusive video of devastation tonight'.
The guy hasn't even signed in for his first day at work; what the heck was he supposed to talk to us about, anyways? Reminds me, I once was in Bangalore, reporting on a national training camp. Reached there in the early afternoon, checked in, dumped my bags, went to the ground. Spent some time watching the nets, and was back in the pavilion waiting for one of the team members, who had said he would come out in a few, and would talk to me then.
The then coach left the ground and was heading off to the canteen, when he spotted me and changed direction. 'Hiiiiii', he goes, 'when did you get in? If you want an interview, be right out in 10 minutes.'
He was, too. Thing being, I hadn't asked for one; didn't have to -- you never do, with Indian coaches. Good to see Greg Chappell is not too keen on pandering to the media.

2 Comments:

  • Spot On Prem. I wish all the journos thought like you do. ;)

    By Anonymous SP, at 16:43  

  • I was allways curious about the questions the media asks even when given an interview. I will not comment on those that Mr. Panicker has already stressed and are to say the least dumb!! Even others like "What is your strategy for the tournament", or "How is the preparation going on?" etc. are kinda weird. Imagine you are the coach, ofcourse you have a strategy, what are you going to say "Hi, Here is my strategy...", remember the John Bucanon fiasco??? So you allways get the std. answer, which is dissected overanalyzed and sensationalised. What a waste of time!!!!

    -KB

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 17:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home