.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sight Screen

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Dressed to thrill

The most amusing aspect of getting to cover the recent Indo-Pak series at home was the commercials that interrupted -- and, thanks to Doordarshan, often substituted -- for play. In one, a soft drink company had Sachin Tendulkar (and Shah Rukh) dressed as biker boys; with Sachin in his still-childish treble going 'Kyon, haarna hai kya?' or some such.
Another marketing exercise had Inzy and Saurav dressed in medieval armor; Inzy looked like Obelisk, of Asterix-comics fame while Saurav looked exactly what he was, a sober, well-brought up lad forced to play dress-up in a costume drama, much to his embarassment.
And now we learn that the Aussies are going to doll up in pink -- pink?! -- shirts when they land in England this week for the Ashes campaign.
Seriously, guys, does any of this enhance your interest in the cricket? What really is the point of all this tomfoolery, do you know? Do you go around telling your friends, 'Must go watch the cricket tomorrow, Sachin looked hot in that leather jacket? Just curious...
PS: A break... back again, later in my evening...

8 Comments:

  • Prem,

    That tamasha is mainly to draw the women, man -- college girls, sari and Punjabi dress clad aunties, housewives....not for guys...

    Sriraj

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 13:21  

  • Prem,

    Good to see that you too are blogging. I have been a huge fan your columns in Rediff (of yesteryears - I still like to read your article dissecting Shane Warne's travails in India).

    Btw, couldn't you have chosen a better name for the blog? This reminds me of that horror show in DD after each Indo-Pak match :P

    Anand

    By Anonymous Anand, at 13:28  

  • who cares what they do anyways..what they do on the field matters and sachin for all his bravado in ads, commercials, etc sucks big time.

    By Blogger rahul, at 13:41  

  • helo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 13:49  

  • Good to see you blogging. I was very disappointed when you stopped(reduced) your articles on cricket in rediff.

    I donno why sachin feels the need to act in silly commercials like these. He is a great cricketer, but I am yet to hear a good intelligent comment from him regarding cricket. I thought we fielded badly, I thought we were defensive(the last test match against Pak) and thats why we lost, I thought the ball was not coming to teh bat well...

    By Anonymous jaggi, at 14:30  

  • I'm sure the marketing agencies do their research. They know that these people are increasing their brand credibility, and hence their sales. And ofcourse, we all know that advertisements themselves enhance sales. So what is the question ?

    Sriraj, the product sales are not only boosted by 'Punjabi' aunties and girls (that wud not justify the price tags that these guys come with).

    By Blogger worma, at 15:21  

  • Worma,

    I'm not particularly knowledgable of women's clothing -- so, I threw a term "Punjabi dress" -- had nothing particular against Punjabi women --else, I'll have the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandak Committee screaming for my tail -- any comments made on Sikhs on Prem Panicker's blog will need the SGPC's assent, going forward!


    Sriraj

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 16:03  

  • Sriraj, I used the term in the same sense as you :-) And my point was that that particular general segment is not the only target group. I know people around me in India who idolise SRK, Sachin as not just actor or cricketer. And they buy stuff these guys promote. Heck it works all around the world man.

    By Blogger worma, at 02:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home