.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sight Screen

Monday, June 27, 2005

Thank you

On the evening of March 27, 1996, I went home after doing commentary on the first day's play of the India-West Indies Test -- the third of the series -- at the Kensington Oval.
Early next morning, I was readying to come to work when the doorbell rang. It was my cousin, Madhu -- to inform me that my father had died. I left for Calicut -- and Rediff posted a note saying that commentary was suspended for the duration.
A few days later -- I was in the midst of the 14-day ritual mourning period -- a courier package arrived. On opening it, I found a few hundred emailed condolences from readers.
I remember, still, the sudden lurch of emotion I felt then; I remember the tears in my mom's eyes when she realized that people from around the world, who knew neither my father nor, in a literal sense, me, were praying for him.
My family then -- and now, when Madhu is the one suffering the bereavement -- is touched by the thought, the prayers, the condolences and the goodwill that has come our way. And for this, much thanks -- a trite word, I know, but it comes from the heart.
Will be back here, in just a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home