.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sight Screen

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

New Dawn?

I will reign in my delirium for the moment, being the eternal pessimist I am, but if ever there was an intent by the Indian players to reverse declining fortunes, this is it. Ganguly showed glimpses of his old self, and Sehwag reigned in his impetuousness to give India a dream start that only he can.

Kaif continues to grow in confidence and impress. Gone is the slow and steady batsman, hesitant to take too many risks too soon. With the number 3 slot under his belt and a few great innings, he now cuts, pulls and drives early in his innings with almost equal panache as Sehwag.

His excellent form makes up for Dravid’s inexplicable ability to sight the ball. How else can you explain a batsman of his stature being bowled 4 times in this tournament? And today, out lbw for a duck: there is a huge mystery here to be solved.

The real glee is seeing the youngsters take center stage. I had lamented about them not stepping up to take their place as they should. I think they heard me – LOL. If it wasn’t so early in the morning I’d raise a toast to them!

4 Comments:

  • exactly - you are coming around.
    Kaif did well at #3 in the last few matches - why mess with his order.
    for long term reasons, he should be
    #3 if he is in the team. He is not a slogger and can't use long handle at the death.

    By Blogger Yacrik, at 05:40  

  • Is it the captaincy issue is bothering Rahul Dravid so much? If so, that is real bad news for Indian cricket...

    By Blogger madhugr, at 05:46  

  • yacrik - coming around? I was always in favor of pushing Kaif up the order, in fact I wanted him to open, although 3 is best for him as we can see. But once SG goes who will partner sehwag is the worry...

    By Blogger Sujata, at 05:51  

  • sujata - you are right -
    Prem was asking for Yuvraj at #3.
    I didnot notice you posted this - assumed it was Prem - my bad .

    By Blogger Yacrik, at 05:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home