.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sight Screen

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

More on Gul

The 21-year-old speedster, subject of an earlier post on this blog, is apparently Pak skipper Inzamam ul Haq's preferred weapon for the Test series against India.
It’s a well-known fact that the Indians are no more pace-wary. In fact, the likes of Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman prefer the ball coming on to the bat. That was the case the last time they were in Pakistan. Akhtar’s and Sami’s pace was the right kind of fodder for India.
The only bowler who made the difference was Gul. The man from a the same village from which squash champions Jansher and Jehangir Khan hailed, featured only in one innings of the Lahore test, but that was enough for him to win Pakistan the match.
Not with his pace, but his ability to move the ball both ways at great speed. The medium-pacer ripped the heart of the Indian batting by claiming five wickets in his 12-over spell. The Indian batsmen on that day had no answer for Gul as he kept them guessing.

The youngster apparently can't wait:
“I’m delighted with the news that I have been named in the squad. It gives me an opportunity to win back my lost place. I think in 20 months, I have lost a lot of ground and it will require my best performance to get back in the team,” he said.
“It’s nice to get a comeback game against India because my last best international performance was also against them. But it is not going to be easy this time because India is a very strong batting lineup but I think I am bowling well.”

It's an interesting facet of the upcoming series -- players in Pakistan have been making confident noises of late. So much so, even Azhar Mahmood wants a go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home