.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sight Screen

Friday, September 02, 2005

Beleaguered batsman's story

No, not about Ganguly, this one's on Hayden :-) Here he speaks out on what he believes is right and wrong, and how he intends to tackle it. He also feels that there are too many advises on techniques, while the solution lies in the mind. People have done a lot of analysis but I don't think it's an analysis thing. It may come down to how mentally sharp you are feeling - I feel fine - but I don't believe it's technique.

Also about long term changes "I can't change, particularly not in the middle of a series. I'm not saying that in the long term I couldn't touch some things up.

But this one's funny "I just wouldn't want to play like Geoff Boycott and take all the shots out of our game. Geoffrey won't be amused !

In such situations, how often we find good players backing their natural style, often rightly so, because that's what helped them reach where they did. And this reminds me, once again, of what Sachin Tendulkar is capable of achieving as a technical batsman. He cut down his natural style in Sydney to the effect of 240 n.o. runs. For those of you not aware, go check out his wagon wheel of that innings here and notice his low percentage of runs on the off side.

Not that this if the first time he has changed his game, or dropped a particular shot, to suit the game situation and the demands of body.

3 Comments:

  • I think he tried to make his bat talk...damn thing lost its tongue it seems :-)

    By Blogger worma, at 19:27  

  • Even though Boycott is painfully slow and boring for all of us today, I am sure there must have been a time when it was accepted as normal. I think I do remember how he was made to sit out of atest after a double hundred(!!) and I heard the reason to be "slow batting". I have no idea if it is true though.
    I am sure 10 years down the line, people might see the current set of great performers as out-of-date in their style.

    By Blogger Toney, at 07:49  

  • Yeah rite. Things do get Obsolete and out dated early these days. So will be the Batsmen of our times.All the Batsmen mentioned above were slow alrite , but like somebody mentioned they must have played the innings of their life someday which gave their team the victory. Anshuman Gaekwad played the innings of his life against the west-indies when he faced the fastest bowlers on earth. It is said that he was all black and blue after that courageous innings.

    By Blogger Vijayendra Darode, at 23:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home